The Sandbox


The Sandbox is a community-driven metaverse platform where creators can monetize voxel ASSETS and gaming experiences in a decentralized manner.

Risk Rating
Protocol Code Quality
Protocol Maturity
Protocol Design
What we like
The Sandbox offers players a virtual world where anyone can build, own and monetize digitial assets.
What we like less
Lack of decentralization as the protocol still has a privileged admin role with no multisig or timelock.
What it means for you
Offers you a top metaverse game where you can monetize your gaming experience through the platform's SAND utility token.
Key Metrics
  • TVL: $0 (Rank #230)
  • TVL Ranking by Other: #0
  • Blockchain: Ethereum, Polygon
  • Chain TVL
    • Ethereum: $0
    • Polygon: $0
Risk Assessment
Protocol Code Quality
  • Code reviewed by at least one experienced auditor; CertiK audited in December 2019
  • Public team promotes accountability
  • No documented protocol hacks since launch
Protocol Maturity
  • Core protocol launched in 2021; maturity over one year minimizes technical risk as smart contracts are well battle-tested
  • Top 10% by total value locked reduces risk
  • Multisig wallet controls protocol upgrades
  • Multisig consists of less than 4 signers, which makes the protocol more susceptible to centralization risks
  • No timelock exists or no information documented, which mean a malicious actor could approve upgrades without any delay
  • Low voting power concentration reduces risk
Protocol Design
  • No death spiral concerns
  • This protocol is susceptible to risks related to staking a token to secure a network, such as slashing events
Things to know about The Sandbox

How The Sandbox works

The Sandbox metaverse runs solely on Ethereum, which is used to record the ownership of tokens and allow owners to transfer, sell or use them without restrictions. Players can create digital assets in the form of non-fungible tokens (NFTs), upload them to the marketplace, and integrate into games. The Sandbox gaming environment is divided into 5 types of tokens: SAND, LANDS, ASSETS, GEMS, and CATALYSTS. SAND is the in-game currency used across the metaverse ecosystem. LANDS are digitial pieces of real estate that communities and players can buil experiences on top of. Once a player owns a piece of LAND, the player will be able to populate it with games and ASSETS. Multiple LANDS can be combined to form an ESTATE. ASSETS are voxel models created by players and traded in the marketplace. GEMS and CATALYSTS define the tier, scarcity and attributes of ASSETS. GEMS are burnt to give attributes to ASSETS, while CATALYSTS are burnt to mint ASSETS.

How The Sandbox makes money

The Sandbox platform uses a fee capture model, where 5% of all transacted value is collected from marketplace transaction fees. The other 95% of all transacted value is collected from LAND sales, NFT sales, advertising revenue and subscription services. The Sandbox Foundation receives 50% of fees from transactional volume paid in SAND. For LAND sales, NFT sales, and subscription services, 50% goes to the company's treasury, 25% to the company reserve, and 25% to the Foundation to support the growth of the ecosystem. For advertising revenue, 75% goes to the Foundation.

How you make money on The Sandbox

You can monetize your time spent in The Sandbox by selling ASSETS, owning LAND, and building games on Game Maker. You can create and sell ASSETS on the marketplace as NFTs. You can buy a LAND and rent them or populate them with content to increase the LAND's value. You can build and monetize games using the Game Maker on LANDS that are owend by players. Lastly, SAND stakers can earn 50% of all transaction fees paid in SAND and 25% of any advertising revenue.